Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Psychiatric Tuesday

f/actual difference between a psychiatrist and psychologist. a psychiatrist is an MD (medical doctor), a psychologist on the other hand isn't. Hmm...interesting,who would have thought it? psychosocial isn't exactly my cup of tea but what can i do right? the orientation was spooky.i oriented to the ECU(elopement care unit), this is where they lock up psych pts(patients) who pose danger to themselves and/or others. the place was literally a dungeon. they were all walking up and down.pacing the hallways. i could almost immediately tell they were not with it or were out of it...attitude is everything, i'll remain positive and open-minded. i want to leave a lasting impression. it's going to be a very intensive learning and involving process. it goes both ways, i'll not only learn about my patients but about myself too, it's going to be an eye-opener. my patience, which is close to nil, will be tested and challenged. they'll try to manipulate me but in everything i've to be the professional, i've to carefully choose my words, everything i say or do (verbal and/or non verbal) is required to be therapeutic. the way i react to the pts reciprocates.if they sense fear from me, they too become afraid and sensing me as the 'danger' might attack me in self-defense.however if i remain calm, they'll sense the calm and act the same. all said i got a ton of info to look-up, compile and put together. gtg.

hope y'all having a beautiful week :)

12 comments:

Unknown said...

This should be an interesting time for you.
Hope you have fun while doing this.Less stress, more courage.
Great fun!

At the end of the day, these are still people albeit with a chemical imbalance.

~ScotchBiscuits~ said...

I hope it goes nicely! it might help to day dream a hair. just a hair. pleasant thoughts=pleasant day. sometimes:)

SisBigBones said...

are you doing rotations in a psych ward? manze, good luck. I used to think that psychiatry might be a good field for me to go into until reality hit and i realized i didn't have that kind of patience or emotional strength to deal with it.

Anonymous said...

ECU!!
that is just too cool
how do i end up here!

Then again no Patience huh!
how you gwan handle
Pass by mine sometime

@3TOC
chemical imbalance. Just killer

Anonymous said...

ECU !!
how do i get there??
must be a little interesting PL!
i'm back!
pass by mine when you can!

@3TOC
chemical imbalance
LOL!!

lulu said...

TELL ME SOMETHING...I THINK I WAS SLOW, I DINT CLICK HALF WHAT I READ BUT APART FROM THAT...I WANTED TO ASK YOU THE 'SHRINK' CAN I CALL YOU THAT? IS IT FINE FOR PEOPLE TO FEEL PEOPLE... YOU KNOW... its like you can sense what a person is feeling and at times thinking especially when you get close to peole nd almost intimate or intimate... is it normal... does it have a name? a medical name

G said...

cool choice of specialization. have a blast.wonder if hanging out with not so sane people is gona get u a bit less sane..

City Love said...

nice! :)

Prettylyf said...

@3TTC-I couldn't agree with you more I'm working hard on fighting the stigma of them been lesser people than the society labeled 'sane/normal'

@Scotchbiscuits-I've been trying to have pleasant thoughts, as i said attitude is everything and leaving a mark in those lives will be the death of me

@SisBigBones-Trust me that kind of patience and emotional strength grows on you with time

@Mrback2basics-I'll swing by shortly...

@Lulu-lol am not a shrink so let's stick to Prettylyf shall we? Now I'm raking my brains trying to think of a medical terminology for such but right now can't find, I'd like to believe there should be one however it's normal to feel others intimate or non-intimate, it takes a special person..did i answer your question?

@G- I wouldn't say it's going to get me a bit less sane, I'd hope it's going to make me more therapeutic and hopefully a better and effective communicator, an even better listener, slow to speak but all ear-lending, and patience, i hope and pray I get more of that

@CL-thanks for stopping by, how is it going with you?

Jennifer A. said...

wow...all the best with this new professional experience.

pandave said...

when you wrote elopment care unit i thought perhaps you dealt twith those who had been traumatised when they eloped.

it sounds amazingly interesting...

Klara said...

Haiya! All da best lakini