Wednesday, October 04, 2006

The 'glamour' of smoking

Smoking. It used to be glamorous(to me and am sure it is to some people). The whole gist of holding a cig in between those fingers. The feeling of the cig between the lips. Oh the art of holding the smoke in for a tad longer than everyone else and then releasing it via the nostrils then the very last of it out of the mouth and not coughing, not a tiny bit. In the club one hand on the drink, the other holding a cig. Thank God they are banning smoking in clubs(so far officially banned in Washington, D.C. clubs)Smoking wasn't just glamour, it was class. I know a cigar is too damn sexy BUT...

In high school most of the girls i hang with smoked. I had the urge but coffee breath is bad enough for me so toping it off with a cig, i wasn't gonna do that. There's so much associated with smoking like the way some women smoke to keep off the weight.

I used to get irritated a while back. I'd be doing my own thing when from nowhere someone would walk up to me and ask to buy one of my cigs or borrow my lighter. I used to get double PISSED!!! Why you ask? because i didn't smoke. But just from the blues they'd ask, not because they saw me smoke,NO! Someone would just eye-ball me or whatever, label me a smoker and procced to ask to buy a cig or borrow my lighter. And why for crying out loud sakes' do people ask to buy someone elses' cigs??? I know some people sell theirs alright but let the habit stop already. But the urge/thirst of seeing someone else smoke and you don't have your own will totally get you borrowing imtellnya .

I had dreamt and fantasized about smoking so much that one night while out when a friend offered me a cig, w/out a second thought i went for it. The most interesting thing is i could not convince my friend i had never smoked before because said friend thought i did it as a pro. I didn't even cough. I smoked away like it was the one thing i had perfected all along in my life. In less than an hour, i had smoked 5 cigs. I caught myself just in time. That was the discovery of yet another of my downfalls. Fortunately, i turned myself around and put a stop to it the same night. The next morning i hated myself, from how i smelled to my breath, ugh, i could very much have gagged from it and my throat felt so jerked up.

Now it breaks my heart to see someone smoke. Blame it on my nursing proffession in progress. Coincidentally, right now i am studying respiratory diseases and the no.1 killer is COPD(Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease). I don't hate smokers, have nothing against them.Can't cast stones because i darn been down that road. All i know is smoking is a bad habit that kills.Worse still is that second hand smoking is just as bad as first hand.

No comments: