Tuesday, June 10, 2008

The world breaks everyone but some are strong in those broken places

The world has broken me
but am learning to be strong in those broken places
I come home
it's not the same here
there used to be portraits of a happy us here
there used to be warmth here
I used to look forward to this
Now I want to drag it out a little bit
until it's a tad darker than it already is outside
there are no more tears in me
my throat is dry
I tried to play pretend
tried to act like it came naturally
there used to be kisses here
laughter has been here
hugs once belonged here
now? not so much
no more
I just want to come in the dark and go to bed
want to wake up in the dark
and leave before I can catch a glimpse of you
before I can recount
before my mind tricks me to want it all back
before I remember I never really knew you
it used to hurt
happy stories have been written here
but happy or sad that's all in yesterday
today I've learned
and what to keep the lesson
that nothing lasts forever
but hope, hope in God
hope and faith for a better tomorrow

11 comments:

Chari said...

I wouldnt happen to be first would I?

In any case I love the projection of essence that ur poem gives...

nice one...

gishungwa said...

(((poi)))

Maua said...

You become broken when that hope fades away, don't let it. Be the strong one in the broken places.

pandave said...

i once told a friend that i had been broken. he said to me that he saw me as a willow who gets bent but never breaks and that what he likes is that he knows that i am coming back. which was nice for him to say because i don't always know that.

Tolulope Popoola said...

Nice!

The poets voice ~~~ said...

"the world has broken me
but am learning to be strong in those broken places"- thats very true..they world will break you but not for you to despair and give up hope but rather for you to build your character and become stronger!.
nice one.

crys said...

it's amazing how a feeling, truth, situation, etc can be exactly and accurately turned into words. and the line 'before i remember i never realy knew you', wow. i applaud you fellow poet. and every broken period is another opportunity for God to touch you more intimately, deeply lovingly molding you again into stronger beauty. God bless you.

Anonymous said...

i love this poem, just love it

Jennifer A. said...

Woah...this is really deep. I'm lost for words.

Prettylyf, I love the message in this poem: "hope against all odds...hope in God."

~ScotchBiscuits~ said...

I was gone a few weeks lost in my crazy world, came back and you were in a broken place.
I want to rewind. I want you whole again.

joyunspeakable2011 said...

BROKEN pieces, heartaches, ruined lives are why HE hung on a tree....

I am touched by your poem and am doing some write up soon to deal with certain brokeness of mine.

you go girl....you go be blessed.