Sunday, July 06, 2008

Somebody New

"... And you and your twisted words, your help just hurts, you are not what I thought you were..."

Today,
just for today
I'll shut out the night's cold breeze
with my locked window
just for today I'll sleep with the music on repeat
all night long
just for today
I'll have the fan on to blow in my face
just for today
I'll let my mind wander on to tomorrow
just for today i'll let little girl in me be afraid of the dark
and so I'll leave the light on through the night
just for today
I'll let the child in me come out and play
just for today
I'll let my mind trick my soul
into believing there's a monster in the closet
and behind the shut door
just for today
and today only will I let myself think about the past
tomorrow
which is actually today
you'll see me
a new person
unafraid of what life throws at me
unshattered by what life puts me through
made whole by lessons and experiences
today I'll embrace both life's good and bad
so today
I'm smiling all the way
I'm pushing myself on towards my dreams and hopes
I'm cheering myself on as I draw nigh to the finish line
I'm getting through this tunnel fast
and way past that proverbial light at the end of the tunnel
today
here I am, out, out of the tunnel
do you see me? a new me

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

And how is the new you doing?


Like the poem.

~ScotchBiscuits~ said...

Your writting is so real, so personal...so good.
Don't you ever change that!

Nakeel said...

I like it so much. How is it siz?

joyunspeakable2011 said...

pretty you just go pretty on dem poems...

pandave said...

hey prettylyf! i hope you're enjoying the summer.
it's an amazing thing about childhood - all those things that go bump in the night, hide behind closet doors and lurk under the bed. and yet that same child will jump from trees with absolutely no fear, live with unquestioning faith and just make the most of life.
the wonder of youth (it has nothing to do with wrinkles)

Savvy Dreamer said...

love this one!!! very good girl. two songs came to mind as i read this. 'just for today' - india arie
and 'this is real, this is me' -Joe Jonas and Demi Lavato (this is from a Disney movie but it's nice.) check 'em out if u can.