Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Hair dryer & Curling Iron MIA




This post was inspired by Scotchie's blog title about not finding her dryer. I don't lye my hair. Instead I braid it all the time. I shampoo and condition it even three times a week when braided. This past Saturday was the chuck-the-braids-day aka doom's day. Doom's day because after chucking the braids I pinch every single nerve on my neck. I like it when my hair is braided because it's take away from the already naturally hectic
morning hassle.

So on Saturday I braced myself on the couch and in three hours chucked my braids. I do not know where for the first time I got this brilliant idea to chuck my braids, get my hair shampooed, conditioned and then straighten it out. I must have been tired or my mind was playing tricks on me because I managed to convince myself that my hair would look just fine and survive for the next two weeks after which I planned on getting it re-braided. The two weeks of straightened hair was meant to give it a breather before the re-braiding. Sure enough after chucking the braids I went and got my hair done and it looked great as expected. Sunday morning the genius in me went out running and by 11am my hair had shrunk and was a mess I could not fathom. Instantly my eyes got teary as I searched for my hair dryer and curling iron. I've not done my hair in a minute so the stuff was MIA or as I later recalled passed down to a girlfriend. I had to be somewhere at 1pm so I went to the store and bought a cheap one to make do. I did my hair Monday morning and after doing it this morning (Tuesday) I frantically called my braider and called off work because I could not stand it. My braider was booked all day so am scheduled to braid it tonight from 10pm and I work tomorrow at 7am. Wish me luck because tomorrow I'll be dozing off at work.

Lol did I just write a whole post on hair??? Talk about not been my hair.

Have a good hair week everyone!!!


14 comments:

Anonymous said...

you are not your hair..thats true, but i feel you on the shrinking part!

Savvy Dreamer said...

As I was reading your post I was thinking about what I am gonna do with my hair tonite. It looks crazy now and I have a party tonite which I have to look good for cuz my current crush will be there.

ahhhhh...

Try and sleep while you get your hair done.(If it doesnt hurt).

Savvy Dreamer said...

my comment disappeared :-(

anywho... yeah... i was saying u should try and sleep when your hair is being braided.

Savvy Dreamer said...

i guess u have to approve these comments or your blog hates me :-(

Prettylyf said...

@Neema divine-the shrinking is such a dumper. I like to think of it as the party pupa lol

@Nahjaj-My blog loves you. I just have to approve the comments :) Good luck with your hair tonight am sure you'll manage to pull off something and wow your crush.
I tried to sleep but it hurt so bad my neck kept tilting to the wrong side then my braider would have to re-position it after like a trillion attempts I gave it all up

Unknown said...

hehehehe, the things we go through for hair.

A woman's glory apparently.
I had my hair done last night.

Have a stay awake day.

crys said...

you blogged paragraphs!!

crys said...

you blogged paragraphs!!

Jennifer A. said...

Lolllll...you love your hairrrr!!! Woohooooo!!!! Relish the fact, its a beautiful thing.

Is your hair natural? If it is then I've found another role-model...lol. An overuse of curling iron/hot iron spoils the hair...:(

Prettylyf said...

@3TOC-I slept for fours the morning after.

@Crys- You noticed! A real surprise huh?lol

@Jaycee- Yup my hair is natural. Word! that too much heat from straightening/blow drying the hair spoils it.

Nakeel said...

I feel you on hair sis kwanza with the natural uncooked ones like mine hehehe its just too delicate to be let flying all over.
I hope you managed to get it done and you at peace.

Maua said...

Wish me luck, I take mine off today and have it done again on Monday. Last time, I didn't sleep the first night, and it hurt so bad for a week. This time, I've got an aloe spray, been told it works.

I even put the spray in he fridge to chill it. I need it ice cold on my scalp.

SisBigBones said...

I thought I was the only one with an affinity for braids. Kumbe! It's actually scary how you sound like me in this post...

I'm stressing about my own braids right now. I need to take them out, they've outgrown and look messy, but I need two whole days to get my hair done (a day to chuck braids and a day to go to the beauty shop). Unfortunately, I won't have two days until mid-june...:(

pandave said...

oh my! how i can relate. thankfully i finally took the plunge and locked my hair. and even on my worst hair day now, i am so thankful i don't have to hunt for hair dryer and curling iron (mostly because i doubt they are still in the house)
such a hilarious post! thanks!