Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Fires Update

Last night when I went to bed there were only eight fires. This morning I woke to thirteen fires. Flashback to Sunday there were only three fires. Suffice to say they're spreading faster than expected. The SD county is running out of water. The only thing that am content and happy about is that people are taking the mandatory evacuations seriously and getting their behinds out of their homes. I know people have lost homes and other valuables worth millions but all that is replaceable so I think it is ok for now. I know it's been hard watching t.v. and suddenly reading your address as one of the houses the fire will be striking next, I can only imagine how devastating it has been getting a reverse 911 call declaring immediate mandatory evacuation, what to grab and what not? or even how heart breaking it is receiving the news that yours is one of the homes that have burned or worse still watching/watched it burn.

These fires are destroying memories that will remain irreplaceable but material cannot measure up to peoples' safety. People have been urged to knock on their neighbors doors during evacuations to ensure no one is left behind. The reverse 911 calls only work for landlines and some don't have landlines in their houses so it's very considerate and thoughtful to knock on those doors and make sure we get everyone out in time. Only one person has died so far, God rest his/her soul in eternal peace. Over 300,000 people have been evacuated and so many homes have burnt down to ashes and beyond recognition. Most of the people have been evacuated or are evacuating to Qualcomm Stadium, home stadium of the San Diego Chargers.

Right now as I type this the fire is coming down the hill towards my house but still it is a safe distant away. The winds have slightly calmed down and hopefully that shouldn't work against us. They haven't issued a voluntary or mandatory evacuation for my area
yet.

I'm grateful to all the firefighters/firemen, the news casters/presenters, the governor, Arnold Schwarzenegger, the families that have been evacuated, Red Cross, the volunteers, National Guard, all the food places and other miscellaneous companies that have made donations to aid the evacuated families just the whole of San Diego County for the corporation and togetherness in all of this.

A lot of places are out of power and the SD county has requested we stay away from our cellphones unless very necessary b/c they're highly relying on them right now for communication and updates. All schools both private and public are closed until further notice.

Thank you to all my friends and family for the calls, text messages, FB messages and anyway you've reached me to check on me. I appreciate!!!!!!!!

Stay safe :)

7 comments:

Unknown said...

STAY SAFE YOURSELF MAMI

Jayn Sean said...

Hey Pretty..i know i haven't been here in a long time. I was reading in between the lines there coz i was tryina catch up. But i will. And i hope you been good. Hvaent seen you in a veeery loooooong time. Sorry ehh? Will make up.

I hope you fime marr..?

gishungwa said...

You my dear have been on my mind. I pray that you stay safe and God be with you. {{{p}}}

Anonymous said...

maze ebu keep safe.. i remember that chargers staduim from rugby on feb2007... san diego is and interesting city!

SisBigBones said...

Pretty, I do hope you're sawaz. I'm sorry to hear you're so close to the fires, hopefully you've not been personally afflicted.

The fact that they're now saying it was arson really pisses me off cuz the damage that's been caused by some selfish person is irrepairable, not to mention the lives and memories that have been stolen from the fire. I hope they catch whoever is responsible and punish them thoroughly.

Stay safe hon, and do update us on your condition. Have a good weekend :)

Prettylyf said...

@3TOC-I've been safe
@Jaybabe-I'm fine, thanks
@Gish-thanks sis
@Kip-Yup Qualcomm has been a shelter to many in the last one week. Truly SD is america's finest city
@Sisbigbones-I get sick when I imagine a pyromania might have caused all this damage and destruction, ACK!

pandave said...

so tell us how you are and how things are where you are. and never forget, even when things look terribly bleak, all those thinking of you and wishing you well.