Saturday, October 27, 2007

15 mins to evacuate

I'm well despite the fires. I'm one of the few who lucked out of the horror. Still I'm suffering from the distress. Above all I'm suffering from survival guilt. I mean some people have been hit so hard, to nothingness and here I'm all I suffer is the ashy-smoky tinged air discomfort. I mean what do you tell the ones who've lost everything? what do you offer them? do you give them money? or do you open your doors to them? or do you lock yourself up and kill yourself with the survival guilt? It's so overwhelming when you're in a place and everyone else has lost all they had but you. You're definitely not on the same page and no one walks in another's shoes for a second so you can't even begin to understand their situation. While sympathy is a no no even empathy seems a tad bit mean here.

Today I went to class and we had a stress/crisis discussion and some of my classmates who were affected shared their grief. The main thing was the minute they got the reverse 911 calls giving them anywhere from 3min to 15mins to evacuate their homes. The sheer confusion of not knowing what to take with them and what not to. They explained how in that moment their priorities in life seemed to suddenly changed. They grabbed medications, some clothings, documents and then some weird items like a metal plunger. I can't begin to fathom the confusion that would linger in such a moment you know what to take and at the same time you don't. If I was to walk in those shoes I'd grab all my important paperwork and some clothes. I know even in writing am at pains to pick so I shall digress...

I vividly remember the night I stood at the patio and watched the fire working it's way downhill towards my house, friends and family called to ensure I had my bag packed ready to voluntarily evacuate but I wasn't ready and honestly I didn't even pack. I couldn't sleep at night, I stayed up all week and at dawn I'd fall asleep and wake up at 5pm PT and the cycle was vicious. However, we made it. God is awesome.

My heart goes out to the deceased souls, the bereaved families and those directly affected, directly affected meaning those who personally lost their loved ones, homes, possessions and property. As a city, everyone in San Diego has been affected directly or/and indirectly. I'm grateful to all the emergency services and each San Diegan. In this time crisis and disaster a lot of corporation has been exhibited and we are all very appreciative to each other.

To all my family, friends, and even blogosphere friends for checking on me. Thanks for hitting the redial button when the reception was bad, for opening your homes to me and the comments and e-mails.

Please tell me had you being the one who got the reverse 911 call to evacuate in 15mins what would you have grabbed?

12 comments:

Michelle said...

Sometimes there is nothing you CAN say in times like this. Just being ther is all you can do. I dunno, I know I would want to help but would not know where to begin.

I am glad you are ok through all of this....though I am sure that living with "survivors's guilt" is very hard!!

I have no idea what I would have grabbed if I only had 15 mins to evacuate. Man! My family for sure. I guess until I was in that situation (which I hope I never am!!) I can't even imagine what I would take ! CLothes, some food, photos and important documents I guess I would TRY to grab. But, in a panic, I would probably be one of the ones to grab the plunger or something!! lol

Unknown said...

Glad to know you are safe, stay safe.

The answer to your question.....what would I take? I have no idea. Scary just thinking about having to make that decision.

Klara said...

That must have been so scary! Ma prayers are with the victims...

gishungwa said...

Thank God that you are safe. I read this last night and i was looking at the stuff in my house and i couldnt decide what would be of more value than other. maybe my papers, pics and a few things here and there which am sure in 15 minutes i odl leave behind. Its a tough call. About helping i find that for someone to know that you are there for them is sometimes more than enough. You are still in my prayers

Nakeel said...

Glad you ok. Prayer and hope is all you can offer. Be strong dear siz.

City Love said...

Thank goodness you're okay.
God knows I don't know what I would have taken. I hate thinking about that. Because I'm one of those people who puts a sentimental value on everything. If anything was ruined I'd mourn like a baby. Pictures, prayer books, etc. Oh man.

Ninakuombea....

Anonymous said...

Pole about the fire experience, but it's good to hear that you are safe!

I am sure it is very difficult to know what to take with you, under such circumstances. The thought itself is very scary...

And thanks for your visits to mine, and your nice comments!

Anonymous said...

My condolences to all that were affected by the fire..and glad you are doing well..

To answer your question..Very very obvious, MY SON..This here is a complete no-brainer..Very natural and automatic response just like breathing..Cant forget to breathe right..? But im sure ur question was directed to materialistic things..Well i'd carry photos, food, clothes and my personal documents..

feather said...

we'll never understand why things like these happen. but i guess thats what makes life life.i'd probably take my bag. i'm notorious for carrying everything that's precious to me in the bag i have with me. i just cram everything in. not a good habit.

~ScotchBiscuits~ said...

Im so glad you are safe.
was in car wreck last month and it taught me similar lessons...life is fragile(as if I didn't know seeing as I work in the ER) and when crazy stuff happens and you realise you are still safe, thats all that really counts. just add to your testimonies!!!
and I'd get my cat and dad and evacuate.

oh and don't dwell on the guilt thing...you are still here because we still need you. me and all your patients!!! okay? here (((((U)))))

Anonymous said...

my heart and prayers go out to the victims and their families and friends and San Diegans in general. (((((((prettylyf)))))

pandave said...

well, think of it this way - perhaps you survived to give support to those who lost so much. so you could be someone's yoda.

what would i take? hmmm... well i have decided to get a safe for my important papers. i have tried to think about what i could possibly leave behind - far easier than what i would take. but this is why i always pack too much.