Friday, December 19, 2008

Christmas at Grams

I'm back to working the night shift and I love it.

This morning I sat in the lounge sipping on a cup of green tea awaiting the am shift to come and take over. Somehow I managed to sit myself right in front of the calendar which in all its glory and magnificence paraded the month of December for me to spectate on. I wasn't a happy spectator to say the least because it had not only been one of those nights at work but also because Christmas ceased to be my best time of the year a while back.

But as I sat there as if to spite me Christmas memories haunted me. And as much as am not one to do a Christmas post. This time one seems uncharacteristically apropos.

Growing up as a kid Christmas was big. I vacillate between the reasons why Christmas was so infamous back then. Besides Jesus been the reason for the season, of course. Not to mention the two new outfits. One for Christmas day and the other for Boxing day (12/26) But also that whatever my siblings and I had wanted and could not get throughout the year now suddenly seemed so easy to coax out of the folks. Now that it was Christmas.

I remember us bringing out the tree from the storage and putting it up along with all the other Christmas decor. As soon as the tree was up and running so was the Christmas music whose crooning filled up every corner of the house and the warmth that escaped the oven from all the baking that went on in the kitchen. It was all merry, good cheer, laughter, giggles and fuzziness. The house phone also seemed to ring off the hook from everyone calling to convey their season greetings. Cards wishing us a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year arrived in the mail from family and friends. During the Christmas season we were also allowed to play outside a while longer than other days.

The week before Christmas my siblings and I would be glued in front of the TV eagerly awaiting the weather forecast session that usually followed after the day's News. So anxious were we to find out if it'd rain on the sacred day or would the gods of nature grace us with sunshine.

We'd leave the city country-bound for Grams house on the eve of Christmas. Grams house was the place to be over Christmas you see. After all, all the cousins would be there and the aunts and uncles as well. Grams had the Christmas feast planned and the festivities would be underway the minute we pulled in. Plenty to eat and drink and a lot of games to play with the cousins made it that much better.

But nothing lasts forever and so our childhood didn't because at some point we grew up. And life got in the way of everyone been available to converge together at Grams on Christmas day. All of a sudden other plans seemed more important and going to Grams took the back seat. Surely, she and grandpa would understand. After all we had been going nonstop and back to back all those years. We'd make a point to go the next year or as soon as things were less hectic we promised. Like that was ever going to happen. As if it wasn't enough to break the Christmas tradition, Grams passed away early this year. I'm certain Christmas will not be the same with her gone. Not like I saw her in the last couple of years but because despite how far away I was during Christmas I always made a point to call. My friends laugh when they scroll my phone book and see I've my Grams and Grandpa's cellphone number.

Still I'll call and wish Grandpa a Merry Christmas. He must be lonely *sigh* but he is a strong man and am sure just like every year for the past 70 plus years he will wake up and go to mass. Oh, grandpa, I love you and pray for God to be your strength and solace

So those are my Christmas memories. What are yours?

Oh yeah this year am working on Christmas day so I'll probably come home, shower, crawl under the covers and sleep away the day. The last time I worked on Christmas day was in 2005 so it should be interesting.

Merry Christmas!!!

6 comments:

~ScotchBiscuits~ said...

memory lane, a place i dare not tread. working on christmas is excellent distraction from the sometimes overwhelming anti-climax that christmas can be when you find yourself bonding with the coffee cup and the tv remote. I hope your granpa has enough love around him to make it easier. I hope your patients are hillarious and keep you laughing that day. I hope you find a million little things to make you smile this christmas.
merry christmas!!!

Anonymous said...

This is the first time I have heard of someone loving the night-shift!!

lulu said...

hi you are bakc merry xmas. night shift where?

islander said...

omly a gem can be as optimistic as you are about working over christmas.

pandave said...

first of all
MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

i always love christmas with my family and this year i was able to celebrate with a wonderful new family. i do remember my grandparents giving my sister and me these awful matching dresses. my parents made us wear them every time we went to church with the grandparents.

but you know, not-so-cute matching dresses are a small price to pay for love!

Have a great one!

Supaflyshi said...

This post has brought back so many memories...happy 2009.