Monday, January 12, 2009

Crashing Waves and Giants

Sometimes, things happen in our lives that are too overwhelming. We face crashing waves and giants. And as we stand and face the realm of the unknown, the situation steals our hope, faith and trust. And we forget. Our recollection fails us. And we begin to live in the moment of doubt, mistrust and hopelessness. Slowly everything we have believed in and held onto slips away.

But just like every storm the situations we might be in are followed by a calm and quiet. And in that calm and quiet is when our sanity returns to us. I pause and take it all in and wonder what happened to me? when I stopped believing, trusting and hoping? and it all comes back to me. I never did. I was just overwhelmed by the situation to the point of succumbing to doubt and lack of faith and hope. I want to snap out of it. I want to hope, trust and have faith in God at all times. If I lose all else I want to keep holding on to that. I want to not be afraid of facing tomorrow. I want to have enough brevity and courage to help me step out of my safety net and comfort zone and tackle the giants in my life. I want to always remember am in better hands (God's) even when I run out of faith or hope.

This morning I realized how easy it is to just focus on the bad and negative and forget the good and positive that once abound. I do not want to forget because holding onto the positive even if it's in the past helps me have faith and hope for a better tomorrow. I don't want to give in at that moment of weakness. In our trials and temptations, which are the situations we find ourselves in on a daily basis, God's strength manifests itself.

So I guess what I am trying to say is remember to count your blessings at your weakest moment (and at all times of course) and see what a huge difference it makes!!! Do not let one negative situation or moment ruin and steal all the joy you have ever experienced and blessings in your life. Every storm passes. Instead turn the ashes in to beauty and let it be like the sun shining in spite of the falling rain and thunder.

Count you blessings. Name them one by one. And it will surprise you what the Lord can do, has done, is doing and will do.


have I hang my head for too long
did i only look at the negative
have i not counted my blessings
did i forget to remember where He has brought me from
have i been ungrateful
was i feisty in my demands
have my requests been self-centered
have i not taken out the time to look back
did i only live in the present
have i only looked and seen the bad
have i forgotten
well then today my recollection has returned
today I have remembered to count only my blessings
today i look and see only the positive
today i pray not for me but you
today am grateful for what I have and have had
today i give thanks for everything He has done
done, is doing and will do.



4 comments:

7 said...

See who is writing a post....and a great one at that!

~ScotchBiscuits~ said...

So much beauty in this story; a story of overcoming tough moments, of learning how to sail in storms and holding on.
To be overwhelmed is okay, as long we dont stay there.

Kafo said...

i heard a sermon this last sabbat that had this same message

well said
normally people like to close their eyes to the negative things in life at the beginning of the year but this sermon and your post reaffirm that storms WILL come and only God can give us peace

Supaflyshi said...

I think we realize who we really are at the toughest moments of our lives...and in a sense after we move on, we are glad we lived through them. I hope that you can find some sort of meaning through these times and eventually look back and smile, knowing that you can face anything :)

hang in there!! the good things cometh